CALVARY CEMETERY EARTHWORKS
The large Catholic cemetery off of South Patterson Boulevard, about three miles south of downtown Dayton, occupies the site of a hilltop earthwork shown in Squier and Davis (1848). From among the beautiful rolling drives and monuments in the northern section, along St. Joseph Drive, overgrown openings into the woods lead to remnants of the northern walls along the steeply rolling bluff.
Intrepid exploration (behind the Nash Obelisk, past a huge Burr Oak) is possible, though not recommended. Instead, inquire about hiking trails being developed by Carillon Historical Park, which owns the hillside.