THE RED SQUARE
Some time after the great enclosure was built, the Hopewell laid out a huge square, here to the northeast. As at other sites nearby, the square was noticeably red. Dr. Edwin Davis, in 1845:
The wall of the square is wholly of clay, and its outlines may be easily traced by the eye, from a distance, by its color… That [the walls] have been subjected to the action of fire, is too obvious to admit of doubt.